Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dance for Parkinson’s Disease

I teach a dance class called Dance for Parkinson’s Disease. It is a class especially for people with Parkinson’s Disease, but anyone with balance or mobility problems is welcome, along with family members or caregivers. I team-teach with dance educator Kate Kuper, and the music for every class is provided by piano accompanist Beverly Hilman. We are paid for our service through grants that make it possible for the participants to attend for free. Kate and I received training from two members of the New York-based Mark Morris Dance Group, which does a weeklong residence at the U of I every year. These professional dancers hold weekly Dance for Parkinson’s classes in their Brooklyn studio. When I was contacted by the dance department head at the U of I, I had a very strong feeling that this was something I needed to do. I have always loved visiting my ailing Grandparents and trying to alleviate their difficulties in some way. My grandparents are far away now, but teaching Dance for PD is a way for me to use my talents and skills to help others in a similar situation.

One very prevalent symptom of Parkinson’s Disease is rigidity; the muscles freeze up, making it difficult to move freely. Dancing together with live music (popular music from their era, show tunes, and classical music) Parkinson’s sufferers find an increase in range of motion and motor control. And all the time we’re having fun. It’s like magic!

We started our monthly class at the U of I Krannert Center in November 2009, and we typically have around 25 people participating in the class. I love associating with the people and seeing their minds and bodies “come alive” as they experience the joy of movement that many may have thought was no longer possible for them. These people have become my friends. I love learning from those of the older generation because they know and have experienced so much. They have a softness and ease about them that I don’t see in any other people I associate with. I love talking with them before and after class, and we all leave edified for having been together.

--Marianne Jarvi

Thank you Marianne!

No comments:

Post a Comment